August 11, 2015

Of Chip Trucks and Honkys

I've been somewhat negligent in posting due to some vacation time, but better late than never.

I stayed a week at a fantastic cottage in Cloyne, Ontario. If you haven't heard of the bustling metropolis that is Cloyne, then you'll most certainly have heard of the nearby larger mega metropolis known as Tweed.

This is why I rent cottages in the summertime.
I have found that there is certainly is a common characteristic of Small Town, Ontario:

1. White. Very white.
2. A single main street, often called Main Street.
3. They love pizza joints and chip trucks. A lot.
4. When not eating pizza and chips, they get real exotic by having a single Chinese food restaurant, often using that stereotypical "chinese" font in the signage
5. The women I've met are manly and will beat you down. The men I've met wear baseball caps,  drive pickups and don't like my kind.
6. Cottage and lakefront properties are breathtakingly beautiful, allowing me to re-charge and appreciate the great outdoors.

Like most Canadians, I love me some cottage getaways, but as the saying goes, they're a great place to rent, but I wouldn't want to buy one.

2 comments:

  1. Small town Ontario is remarkably similar to small town Queensland. I imagine the people who live in these places had great-great-grandparents who immigrated from small town England. The left behind the mundane and then went straight to work making their new home exactly like the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Blin. It seems that lack of diversity over generations leads to sameness, if that's even a word. It's like everyone in small towns turn into the fucking Borg and look alike, act alike and eat alike.

    ReplyDelete